There are many ways to let go of negative feelings. Each of them could constitute a book of its own so I will just give a short description of what they are. If you would like more details please contact me and I will be happy to tell you more about them.
The first thing to remember is DO NOT IGNORE FEELINGS. Take the time to acknowledge them and accept that they are sending you a message telling you to pay attention.
After that the best way to let them go is to MOVE YOUR ENERGY. This can be done in many different ways:
- Breathe. Deep breath will calm down your emotions and allow more clarity.
- Be in the present by breathing deeply and meditating.
- Exercise. Move your body: dance, run, punch, jump, stretch… Any movement, preferentially active, tiring and with a sense of rhythm will help
- Shake. Let your body tremble if it needs to. This technique called TRE (Trauma Release Exercise) is used on PTST patients by the military. Under a major stress, your body may naturally let the excess energy express itself in the form of a tremble. It might look scary but it is a natural function of your system. Just let your body moves any way it wants and acknowledge that it is simply a way to let catabolic energy escape your body.
- Tap. This technique is based around the principles of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) consisting on expressing what you would like to see changing while tapping along meridians points on your body.
- Talk. Talk therapy has been a pillar of emotional release for many years. Traditional talk therapy tends to allow the client to express freely its feelings and find a solution by thinking about it. It is essential to not ignore the subconscious level. Sometimes wanting to change is not enough when your subconscious is not on board.
- Emotional Healing Therapy. This is an exceptionally powerful combination of tapping, talk therapy and self-hypnosis. You need to work with a professional at first who will teach you the skill necessary to do it on your own.
- Express yourself by writing, drawing, sculpting. Creativity can be a wonderful outlet.
THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET. You might have experienced the feelings you’re experiencing for months if not for years. Do not be disappointed if your life doesn’t change overnight. It usually takes three weeks to change a habit but there is no rule about how much time releasing a feeling takes. The more you accept that it is just a feeling link to a story called your past and that it is not defining who you are, the easiest it will be to release it.
“Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.”
--- Forest Gump
DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE YOUR NEGATIVE FEELINGS BY POSITIVE ONES. An empty space is created once you empty your pit of negative thoughts. This space in your brain will be filled up with whatever presents itself. If you let it empty, there is a big chance negative experiences will happen and fill up once again your pit with catabolic energy. Take the time once you release a negative feeling to replace it by a positive one. Think about things that you are grateful for, by meditating, by repeating a positive mantra, by doing something that you enjoy doing…
ACCEPT that once you let go of what you don’t want, you might have to spend sometime learning about what you want. Most of the time we let go of negative feelings and we are just left with a sensation of nothingness. After a period of intense sadness or anger you might feel a burst of energy. Don’t be fooled by this pendulum effect. The goal is not for you to be overexcited but more to feel at peace and emotionally strong. To reach this level, you will probably have to face a period when nothing really happen until you define the new you. This period feeling like a limbo is called the neutral zone.